Patricia Vonne – “Top Of The Mountain”
Patricia Vonne has worn many hats in her day: singer, songwriter, bandleader, actress, activist, award-winning animator and more. But with the release of her seventh album, Top of the Mountain (Bandolera Records), she takes her musical career to a new level.
Following on the heels of her acclaimed all-Spanish album, 2015’s Viva Bandolera (which made the Top Eight list in the Huffington Post), Vonne’s new effort incorporates all the multi-faceted components that define her unique musical persona; rock, folk, flamenco, bilingual Tex-Mex and Latin strands that, taken together, form a rich and colorful tapestry.
“I’m a ninth-generation Tejana,” says the San Antonio native and Austin resident. “A fusion of many cultures and musical influences.” Asked to describe her music to a stranger she replies, “I call it roots rock with a south-of-the border flavor. It’s always been important to me to embrace my Latin heritage through my music.”
The defiant, stand-your-ground title track sets a declamatory tone as the rest of the album winds a sinuous path through the border radio groove of “Lil’ Lobo,” the careening rocker “Graceland Trip,” “Madre de Perla,” a flamenco-flavored tribute to Vonne’s mother, the spaghetti western soundtrack that is “Western Blood,” and much more.
Vonne enlisted an ensemble of gifted musical guests to flesh out the tracks, including Fort Worth sax virtuoso Johnny Reno, bajo sexto player Max Baca, guitarists David Grissom and Joe Reyes, and keyboardist Scott Plunkett, from Chris Isaak’s band, along with co-producer and guitarist Rick Castillo. Vonne herself plays lead guitar on “Western Blood.”
Featuring co-writes with Joe “King” Carrasco, Alejandro Escovedo, Willie Nile, Steven Medina Hufsteter of the Cruzados, and longtime performing and songwriting partner Robert LaRoche, Top of the Mountain allowed Vonne to explore new aspects of her multi-cultural creativity.
Patricia Vonne – “Top Of The Mountain” Tour
06. April 2018 – DE Twist, Heimathaus Twist 25. April 2018 – DE Heiligenhaus, Der Club
07. April 2018 – DE Nordenham, Jahnhalle 26. April 2018 – DE Dortmund, Musiktheater Piano
08. April 2018 – DE Parchim, Irish Pub 27. April 2018 – DE Bielefeld, Bielefelder Jazzclub
11. April 2018 – DE Nürnberg, Künstlerhaus Nürnberg 28. April 2018 – DE Hamburg, Downtown Bluesclub
12. April 2018 – DE Karlsruhe, Jubez 29. April 2018 – DE Leck, Leckhuus
13. April 2018 – DE Garching/bei München, Bürgerhaus Garching 30. April 2018 – DE Gifhorn, Kultbahnhof
14. April 2018 – DE Kirchheim/Teck, Club Bastion 03. Mai 2018 – DE Köln, Yardclub
18. April 2018 – DE Erfurt, Museumskeller 04. Mai 2018 – DE Oberhausen, Crowded House
19. April 2018 – DE Eppstein, Wunderbare Weitewelt 05. Mai 2018 – DE Münster, Hot Jazz Club
20. April 2018 – DE Plauen, Malzhaus 06. Mai 2018 – DE Weyhe, Open Air Wassermühle
- Citadel 03:13
- City Is Alive 03:15
- Illuminaria 02:28
- Top Of The Mountain 03:34
- Lil' Lobo 04:30
- Madre De Perla 02:38
- Tidal Wave 04:12
- Graceland Trip 02:45
- Western Blood 03:00
- Conción de la Boda 02:51
- Lekker Ding 02:06
- God's Hands 03:49
- Stop The Madness 04:01